It is a topic chronic pain sufferers need to be aware of! Be gentle with yourself today and try to share a smile or two with someone. You don’t know how precious such a simple gesture can be 🙂
Is chronic back pain making you depressed? Dr. Andrew Block explains.
Chronic pain is a problem affecting nearly 1/3 of the population in the US and depression is one of the problems which can accompany chronic pain. Statistics show about 85% of patients who have chronic pain experience symptoms of depression.
Some symptoms of depression include:
- Sleep disturbance – which includes sleeping too much or too little
- Appetite disturbance – eating too much or not eating enough
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyable activities
- Withdrawal from other people
- Shortened sense of future or a fear of dying
- Loss of motivation
These symptoms plus a whole host of other symptoms make it very difficult to recover from chronic back pain. In fact, there are a lot of indications chronic back pain and depression have primarily the same symptoms and they feed off of each other. For example, when someone is hurting – they…
View original post 191 more words